Friday 3 November 2017

The 2017 Harvest - part 2

With rain forecast for the first part of the weekend followed by about five cold looking days and nights, I decided to dig up the remainder of my sweet potatoes whilst the sun was shining this afternoon.

Mixed results again with the last three varieties. The big surprise was Murasaki which was one of the better performers last year. Only a kilo of tubers, several had been eaten and a couple, for reasons only known to them, had started sprouting!

Murasaki

So that slip has been broken off and put into water to start next year's plants...

Next up was Belle Vue. I like this variety as I like the colour of the skin; it's quite a bright orange. It's a steady performer this one; not outstanding but plenty of good sized tubers and a decent yield of 1.3kg.

Belle Vue

And last but not least, consistently the best performer, Bonita. I wish I could love it but with it's pale tan skin and white flesh, to me, it's just not a sweet potato!

Bonita

A couple of these tubers had been eaten too so my next job is to google (aka ask an expert on Twitter) what's likely to have been doing that and why. I suspect it's slugs and probably because I've left them in the ground later than usual.

So a total harvest of 7.7kg which is quite a bit down on last year's of about 12kg but factoring in 40% less plants, I think that's a similar yield.

Next up in a day or so, what I've learnt from this year!

Joanna








No comments:

Post a Comment