Wednesday 1 November 2017

The 2017 Harvest - part 1

We had the first frost of the winter a couple of days ago which was an excellent reminder that I really ought to dig the sweet potatoes up now! I've usually dug them up by about the third week of October in the past but a busy few weeks have meant I just haven't had the time, plus luckily until last Sunday we've had really warm weather for autumn so the plants have been quite happy in their little polytunnels.

This coming weekend is also showing a couple of very cold nights with temperatures hovering just above freezing so this week is the week they are getting harvested.

I've been weeding the sweet potatoes recently anyway so had a inkling there might be a few tubers just under the surface. In fact, they really are clustered below the main head of the plant and are peeping through and pushing the ground up at that point.


The first row I dug up were Orleans. This was a new to me variety last year and it was quite productive with a yield of 3kg from five plants. This year I decided to limit the number of plants I had of each variety to three but even so, the yield this year is 2.1kg from those three plants and the biggest tuber weighs 450g.

Orleans

I'm quite happy with that harvest.

I dug up two further rows this afternoon but both were disappointing. I knew the first one, Evangeline, wasn't going to amount to much as the plants never really got going with very little vine growth. A measly 220g from three small plants.

Evangeline

And what's more, look at those two bigger tubers; something has been eating at them! I guess they must be sweeter?


The next row, Beauregard, was little better; 600g from two plants.

Beauregard

At least there are some potential tubers here that I can use to grow next year's slips. I have a feeling that I'll struggle to use any of those Evangeline tubers for next year.

So, it would appear that my experiments so far are running true to form; that the white tubers are the highest yielding for me rather than the darker fleshed ones. I have yet to harvest the Bonita and Murasaki but they both had so much vine growth again, I'm sure there are plenty of decent sized tubers down there. I have struggled with Evangeline each year so it may be time to say goodbye to this variety.

And lastly, a couple of little anomalies; firstly a couple of the vines have rooted themselves.


Not quite sure what that means. Will them form separate plants? Would tubers form underneath them amongst the roots? Can I cut the vines and treat them as new plants?

And finally....why are some of my tubers so twisted and contorted? Just the ground conditions? I can grow straight carrots, so why not sweet potatoes?!


I'm hoping to dig up the last three rows before the next frosts are due at the weekend so will do a final update then.

Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment