Thursday 22 December 2016

2014 - My First Year

Whilst they are called potatoes, sweet potatoes are from a different plant family than your regular spud; they are part of the ipomoea family. They have a vine like quality with foliage that spreads over the ground while the roots form tubers below the surface. And as they are from a different family, you don't grow them from a seed potato but rather from slips. Slips are new plants that are grown from a tuber

My first foray into growing sweet potatoes was by buying some slips from Marshalls Seeds in 2014. Most seeds companies only have one or two varieties and I purchased the most common variety, Beauregard.

I bought 5 slips for £10, so at £2 each they were fairly pricey.

I have to say though the resulting harvest was delicious! The tubers were mellow, smooth and sweet to the taste. I may only have harvested about 3kg from those five plants, but I was hooked!


And then my mind was blown by finding out you could grow your own slips!

And so my adventures began.....

Joanna


No comments:

Post a Comment